Pages

Monday 31 August 2020

Sympathy

Sympathy/By Paul Laurence Dunbar      Poetry Response 

I know What the caged bird feels, Alas!                                           The connection I Made with is that Paul

When the sun is bright on the upland slopes;                                    Wants everyone to think if you ever 

When the wind stirs soft through the spring grass                             Get lost in anything go back and keep 

And the river flows like a stream of glass;                                         Going until you get it done. A,b,b,b,a,-

When the first bird sings and the first bud opes,                              c,c is the rhyming in The first line. The 

And the faint perfume from it chalice steals---                                  Poem has 3 Stanzas and 7 lines in each.

I know what the caged bird feels!                                                      In the poem there is Personification 

                                                                                                            Like, "The wild stirs soft", "The bird 

I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,                                           sings", "The river flows like a stream  

Till its blood is red on cruel bars;                                                      of glass,"

For he must fly back to his perch and cling 

When he fain would be on the bough a-swing;

And a pain still throbs in the old, old scars

And they pulse again with a keener sting,---

I know why he beats his wing!


I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,

When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore,---

When he beats his bars and he would be free; 

It is not a carol; of joy or glee,

But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,

But a plea, That upward to Heaven he flings---

I know why the caged bird sings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question